Several walking tours visit Grossmünster along with other Old Town landmarks, such as Fraumünster or Lindenhofplatz. Some city itineraries also include the area’s famous shopping streets or chocolatiers, with transportation often included. Combo packages combine city sightseeing with more remote regional attractions, such as the Chinese Garden or Rhine Falls. You’ll need around an hour to explore the church itself, plus another half hour if you intend to climb the tower or visit the museum.
Things to know before you go
- There are 187 winding wooden steps to the tower viewpoint, plus a ladder, so be prepared for a slightly challenging climb.
- The church is accessible for wheelchair users, though be aware that the surrounding Old Town pavements are uneven and sloped in places.
- The tower is not accessible for wheelchair users.
- There is a small charge to climb the tower or enter the museum; otherwise, access to the church is free.
How to get there
Grossmünster is a 15-minute walk from Zurich Main Station, or a 5-minute ride on the number 4 tram, alighting at Helmhaus. Lake Zurich ferry terminals are also located conveniently close by, within ten minutes’ walk south of the church.
When to get there
The church and tower stay open a little later in summer, affording later arrivals lovely dusk views from the observation deck. Services take place every Sunday and while guests cannot ascend the tower or explore the church during this time, they are welcome to join the congregation. The museum is closed on Tuesdays.
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Geneva
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Central Switzerland
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Things to do in Alsace
- Fraumünster Church
- St. Peter Church (Kirche St. Peter)
- Kunsthaus Zurich
- Lake Zurich (Zürichsee)
- Paradeplatz (Parade Square)
- Zurich Opera House (Opernhaus Zürich)
- National Museum Zurich (Landesmuseum Zürich)
- Museum Rietberg
- Zurich Chinese Garden (Chinagarten)
- Botanical Garden (University of Zurich)
- Zoo Zurich