- La Jolla caves kayak tour
- Paddle to the La Jolla sea caves
- Watch for the abundant wildlife including numerous types of sea birds and usually sea lions, seals, and sometimes dolphin
- Kayak into the fascinating kelp beds of the La Jolla Ecological Reserve
Departure & Return
yellow awning outside our door
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Select from a morning or afternoon departure and leave from Avenida de la Playa in La Jolla. Meet your guide for the trip and start with a short introduction to proper paddling technique and safety instructions. Then bring your boat down to the beach at La Jolla Shores to begin your ride.
Paddle along the shores of the area’s beautiful rocky coastline, heading towards the La Jolla Sea Caves. As you proceed, keep your eyes peeled for any number of marine species that populate this stretch of coastline. Most trips spot a variety of sea birds along with sea lions and seals. If you’re particularly lucky, you may also see dolphins or even orcas splashing nearby.
During your kayaking experience, pass through some of the area’s unique rock formations, journey through the sprawling forests of kelp and get a chance to explore the area’s sea caves (pending current conditions and your guide’s decision). Finish your ride with an exhilarating kayak “surf ride,” following the waves as they push you back into shore.
Please note: participants should be prepared to get wet during the ride. Entrance into the caves is not guaranteed, as it depends on the ability level of group participants, current ocean conditions and the discretion of your guide. The operator recommends participants be at least six years or older and be able to swim.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- PLEASE BE IN THE KAYAK SHOP 1 HOUR BEFORE TOUR START TIME, Allow time for parking and gear set up
- Expect to get wet, please wear appropriate clothes such as a bathing suit and shoes that can get wet (tennis shoes, 'river shoes' or flip flops)
- Hats, sun screen and towels are strongly advised
- Please do not bring valuables and things that cannot get wet
- There is a weight limit of 250 pounds per single kayak and 450 pounds per double kayak
- For safety reasons, the tour operator does not guarantee going into the caves on tours. Entrance to caves is based on ocean conditions, safety, and participants ability as determined by guide.
- Minimum age is 6 years for a double kayak and 16 years for a single kayak
- All participants must be able to swim
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- OPERATED BY Hike Bike Kayak Adventures
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
See all safety measures taken by La Jolla Sea Caves Kayak Tour.